Ferdinand Nicolai Roll (born 28 May 1831 in Trondheim; † 27 February 1921 in Vestre Aker) was a Norwegian jurist and politician of the conservative party Høyre. He was a member of the Storting and Norwegian Minister of Justice.
Roll’s parents were the judge and politician Jacob Roll and his third wife Nicoline Selmer. The engineer Oluf Nicolai Roll was his half-brother, the priest Karl Jacob Roll his brother. Like his father, Ferdinand Roll underwent a legal education. In 1847 he enrolled at the university and graduated in 1852 as candidatus juris cum laude.
In 1870 he was appointed Sorenskriver of Romsdal, based in Molde. While holding this office he was elected to the Storting in 1877, representing Ålesund and Molde. In 1880 and 1883 he was re-elected.
When the Cabinet was formed in 1889, Roll became part of the executive branch. In Emil Stang’s first cabinet, he was appointed Minister of Justice on 13 July. Less than a year later, on 30 June 1890, he resigned the post and moved to the Norwegian Council of State in Stockholm. This post he held until 5 March 1891. In 1892 he was again elected to the Storting for one term. After leaving parliament in 1895, he was a full judge of the Supreme Court until his death, having previously been an associate judge there.
Roll and his second wife Sophie Nicoline Knudtzon were the parents of feminist writer Nini Roll Anker.
- Paul Thyness Ferdinand Roll. Article from the Norsk biografisk leksikon.
- Christian Thaulow Personalhistorie for Trondhjems by og omegn i et tidsrum af circa 1 1/2 aarhundrede.
- J. B. Halvorsen: Norsk Forfatter-Lexikon 1814-1880: paa Grundlag af J.E. Krafts og Chr. Lange’s “Norsk Forfatter-Lexikon 1814-1856”. 4 : M-R, p. 588f.
- Ferdinand Nicolai Roll in J. B. Halvorsen: Norsk Forfatter-Lexikon 1814-1880 : paa Grundlag af J.E. Krafts og Chr. Lange’s “Norsk Forfatter-Lexikon 1814-1856”. 4 : M-R, p. 585f.
- Ferdinand Nicolai Roll – Norwegian Social Science Data Services (NSD).
- Irene Iversen Nini Roll Anchor. Article from the Norsk biografisk leksikon.
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Roll, Ferdinand Nicolai (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||norwegian lawyer and politician (Høyre), member of the Storting|
|DATE OF BIRTH||28. May 1831|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Trondheim, Norway|
|STERBEDATUM||27. February 1921|
|DESTINATION||Vestre Aker, Norway|