Ernst Dieter Rossmann
Ernst Dieter Rossmann (born 4 February 1951 in Elmshorn) is a German politician (SPD) and psychologist. He has been chairman of the Committee on Education, Research and Technology Assessment since January 2018. In May 2019, he was elected honorary chairman of the German Adult Education Association after twelve years as chairman.
Life and profession
After graduating from the Bismarck-Gymnasium in Elmshorn in 1969, Rossmann studied psychology, graduating in 1974. He then worked as a research assistant at the University of Applied Sciences for Social Pedagogy in Hamburg until 1988. In 1986 he received his doctorate in sports science with the thesis Verhaltenskonzepte für das sportliche Training von Jugendlichen: Results and consequences from two empirical studies on the training of youth teams in football (12-16 years).
Ernst Dieter Rossmann is Protestant, married and father of a daughter.
He has been a member of the SPD since 1971 and was chairman of the Elmshorn SPD local association from 1981 to 2017.
Rossmann was a member of the town council of Elmshorn from 1982 to 1991 and during this time was deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group.
From 1987 until his resignation on 6 October 1998, Rossmann was a member of the Schleswig-Holstein state parliament. From 1988 to 1996 he was the spokesman for education policy for the SPD parliamentary group in the state parliament, from 1992 to 1996 he was second vice-president of the state parliament and from 1996 he was deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group in the state parliament. Rossmann has always entered the state parliament as a directly elected member of parliament for the constituency of Elmshorn, Tornesch and surrounding communities.
He has been a member of the German Bundestag since 1998 and has been Chairman of the Committee on Education, Research and Technology Assessment here since January 2018. In the SPD parliamentary group, he was spokesman of the working group “Education and Research” from March 2009 to January 2018. He was a member of the parliamentary group’s executive committee from November 2002 to February 2018 and was spokesman for the Schleswig-Holstein regional group from April 2002 to October 2017 and spokesman for the Parliamentary Left in the SPD parliamentary group from January 2006 to March 2014. In the 19th German Bundestag, Rossmann is a deputy member of the Enquete Commission on Vocational Education.
Ernst Dieter Rossmann entered the Bundestag in 1998 and 2002 as a directly elected Member of Parliament for the constituency of Pinneberg and in 2005, 2009, 2013 and 2017 respectively via the state list of Schleswig-Holstein. In July 2020, he announced that he would not run again in the election to the 20th German Bundestag.
Since 2009, Rossmann has been a member of the SPD’s Commission on Fundamental Values.
In November 2017, Rossmann was honored with the Willy Brandt Medal for his commitment to the SPD. The medal is awarded to SPD party members for their outstanding service to social democracy.
Rossmann has been a member of the Parliamentary Left (PL) in the SPD parliamentary group since 1998 and was its spokesman from January 2006 to March 2014.
Rossmann advocates the establishment of a National Education Council, as agreed in the coalition agreement of the CDU/CSU and SPD for the 19th legislative period. In addition to chairing the committee, Rossmann is the SPD parliamentary group’s rapporteur for European education and research policy, persecuted scientists, science communication and citizen science and Citizen Science.
Involvement in the German Adult Education Association
From June 2007 to May 2019, Rossmann was honorary chairman of the German Adult Education Association (DVV). After not standing for re-election as chairman in May 2019 after three terms in office, in accordance with the statutes, he was unanimously elected honorary chairman by the general meeting. Since June 2019, Rossmann has been Chairman of the State Association of Adult Education Centres in Schleswig-Holstein.
- Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer remains President of the vhs umbrella association.German Adult Education Association, 8 May 2019, accessed 13 February 2020.
- Archive link(Memento of 1 December 2009 in the Internet Archive)
- German Bundestag – Members.Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- Cornelia Sprenger:“There is a time for everything:” Ernst Dieter Rossmann will not stand for re-election to the Bundestag.In: PinnebergerTageblatt. 7 July 2020, retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Rossmann appointed to SPD Basic Values Commission. In: Ernst Dieter Rossmann.(edr-pi.de [accessed 4 November 2018]).
- Bernd Amsberg:The SPD honors Ernst Dieter Rossmann.In: PinnebergerTageblatt. 14 November 2017, retrieved 11 October 2020.
- Ernst Dieter Rossmann:Victory of the short-sighted.In: FrankfurterRundschau. 5 January 2020, retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Ernst Dieter Rossmann:Strengthening science communication – SPD Science Forum.In:Social Democracy Science Forum. 11 November 2019, retrieved 13 February 2020 (German).
- Committees.Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- Ernst Dieter Rossmann new Chairman of the Schleswig-Holstein Adult Education Association.In: Ernst DieterRossmann. Ernst Dieter Rossmann, 26 June 2019, retrieved 13 February 2020.
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files
- Website of Ernst Dieter Rossmann
- Biography at the German Bundestag
- Ernst Dieter Rossmann in the state parliament information system of Schleswig-Holstein
- Literature by and about Ernst Dieter Rossmann in the catalogue of the German National Library
- Ernst Dieter Rossmann on Abgeordnetenwatch.de
|NAME||Rossmann, Ernst Dieter|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||german politician (SPD), MdL, MdB|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4. February 1951|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Elmshorn|