Earl of Dorset
Earl of Dorset was a hereditary British peerage title in the Peerage of England, named after the county of Dorset, awarded four times
The title was first created in 1070 for Osmund of Sées. The latter also became Bishop of Salisbury in 1078 and died childless in 1099, so that the title became extinct.
In 1411 the title passed to Thomas Beaufort, who was raised to Duke of Exeter in 1416; the title again lapsed on his death.
The next grant was in 1441 in favour of Edmund Beaufort, who was elevated to Marquess of Dorset only a year later, inherited the title Earl of Somerset in 1444, and was elevated to Duke of Somerset in 1448. His son Henry Beaufort, 2nd Duke of Somerset was outlawed in 1461 and his titles considered forfeited. They lapsed at the latest with the execution of his son Edmund Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset in 1471.
The last bestowal was on 13 March 1604 to Thomas Sackville, 1st Baron Buckhurst. This had already been granted the henceforth subordinate title of Baron Buckhurst, of Buckhurst in the County of Sussex, on 8 June 1567. Before the later 6th Earl of Dorset inherited the titles in 1677, he was raised to Earl of Middlesex and Baron Cranfield, of Cranfield in the County of Middlesex, on 4 April 1675. His son, the 7th Earl was also elevated to Duke of Dorset within the Peerage of Great Britain on 17 June 1720. The later 5th Duke also inherited from his father George Germain, 1st Viscount Sackville in 1785 the titles of Viscount Sackville, of Drayton in the County of Northampton, and Baron Bolebrooke, in the County of Sussex, which had been conferred on the latter in the Peerage of Great Britain on 9 February 1782. On the death of the 5th Duke on 29 July 1843 the titles lapsed.
List of the Earls and Dukes of Dorset
Earls of Dorset, first grant (1070)
- Osmund de Sées, 1st Earl of Dorset († 1099)
Earls of Dorset, second grant (1411)
- Thomas Beaufort, 1st Duke of Exeter, 1st Earl of Dorset (1377-1426)
Earls of Dorset, third grant (1441)
- Edmund Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset, 1st Earl of Dorset (c. 1405-1455)
- Henry Beaufort, 2nd Duke of Somerset, 2nd Earl of Dorset (1436-1464)
- Edmund Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset, 3rd Earl of Dorset (c. 1439-1471)
Earls of Dorset, fourth grant (1604)
- Thomas Sackville, 1st Earl of Dorset (1536-1608)
- Robert Sackville, 2nd Earl of Dorset (1561-1609)
- Richard Sackville, 3rd Earl of Dorset (1589-1624)
- Edward Sackville, 4th Earl of Dorset (1590-1652)
- Richard Sackville, 5th Earl of Dorset (1622-1677)
- Charles Sackville, 6th Earl of Dorset (1638-1706)
- Lionel Sackville, 1st Duke of Dorset, 7th Earl of Dorset (1688-1765)
- Charles Sackville, 2nd Duke of Dorset, 8th Earl of Dorset (1711-1769)
- John Sackville, 3rd Duke of Dorset, 9th Earl of Dorset (1745-1799)
- George Sackville, 4th Duke of Dorset, 10th Earl of Dorset (1793-1815)
- Charles Sackville-Germain, 5th Duke of Dorset, 11th Earl of Dorset (1767-1843)