Collegiate monastery Soldin
Soldin Abbey was a collegiate monastery in Soldin, now Myślibórz, in the then Brandenburg Neumark from 1198 to 1546.
The monastery included the town church of St. Mary, as well as a collegiate house and probably several collegiate houses (of which there is no written or archaeological news). There was no closed monastery area.
The collegiate monastery was founded in 1298 by Margrave Albrecht III of Brandenburg. It was to become the ecclesiastical centre of the Neumark. A provostry Soldin was assigned to the monastery. Some canons came from the Marienstift in Stettin.
In 1335 the monastery was severely damaged “by fire and robbery”. In the following two decades Margrave Ludwig of Brandenburg supported it through extensive donations
In 1433 the monastery, as well as the rest of the town, was devastated by Hussites. In 1459, at the request of Elector Frederick II of Brandenburg, Pope Pius II released the collegiate monastery from the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the bishopric of Cammin, but this was ignored by the monastery according to the available documents.
The canons initially resisted the introduction of Protestant worship in the town church in 1538 by retaining the liturgy according to the Catholic rite. Some left the monastery soon after. In 1539 the church burned down in a town fire, probably some of the canons’ houses as well. The remaining lords then lived in the collegiate house. In 1543 Margrave Johann von Küstrin demanded the abolition of the monastery, but the remaining canons refused. Thereupon they were deprived of their income from benefices. After the cantor Hamme signed the contract in 1546 without the consent of the others, the monastery was dissolved. In 1547 the last canons left the collegiate house, but some continued to live in the city.
The chapter consisted of twelve canons. These had ecclesiastical orders, but did not belong to any religious order and were not obliged to live in the place (secular canons). Some of them held other canonical or cathedral offices, or were also active at court as electoral councillors, Dietrich Mörner even as chancellor. The monastery was led by a provost and a dean, who apparently acted formally on an equal footing; in some documents the dean was even named before the provost
The canons were often consulted by bishops and electors, by monasteries and private individuals as arbitrators or lawyers in legal disputes in the Neumark, but also in Pomerania, Lower Lusatia or the Kurmark.
Ecclesiastically, the Soldin monastery belonged to the diocese of Cammin, to which it nevertheless remained de facto subject even after the formal exemption of 1459.
The monastery had patronage over the town churches in Soldin, Landsberg, Berlinchen, Bärwalde (all since 1298), Lippehne, Friedeberg, Woldenberg (since 1335), Schönfließ, Mohrin (since 1355), all in the Neumark, in Strausberg near Berlin and over two village churches with the corresponding revenues. It also owned some villages in the surrounding area, as well as scattered property and income from altars.
- Christian Gahlbeck, Blandine Wittkopp: Soldin (Myślibórz). Collegiate monastery. In: Heinz-Dieter Heimann, Klaus Neitmann, Winfried Schich (eds.): Brandenburgisches Klosterbuch. Handbuch der Klöster, Stifte und Kommenden bis zur Mitte des 16. Jahrhunderts (= Brandenburgische historische Studien, Vol. 14). Volume 2. Be.bra-Wissenschaft-Verlag, Berlin 2007. ISBN 978-3-937233-26-0. pp. 1123-1147,