Ciudad de Comayagua
Comayagua on the map of Honduras
Location of Comayagua in Honduras
|City foundation||8. December 1537|
|City Chair||Carlos Miranda|
Cathedral of St. Michael in Comayagua
Plaza Central de Comayagua
Sand for the eyes of tourists
Comayagua is the capital of the Comayagua Department in Honduras.
In 2008, the population was 87,805.
Comayagua is located 37.6 miles north of Tegucigalpa and 77.6 miles south of San Pedro Sula.
At the time of the Conquista, Lencas who spoke Lencan lived in this area.
The Spanish city was taken possession of on 8 December 1537 as Santa María de Comayagua by Capitán Alonso de Cáceres on behalf of the Adelantado, Governor of Yucatán, Francisco de Montejo, and in the name of Charles V (HRR) and Santa María de la Concepción.
Francisco de Montejo described the location as being on the equidistant between the oceans and in the middle of Nicaragua and León (Nicaragua). Alonso de Cáceres pacified the land of the Higueras or Honduras and found a valley with two rivers, ten legua long and four wide, which was very suitable for the foundation of a city.
The Comayagua Valley is fertile land with good pastures, abundant crops, good air and clear skies.
They chose a strategically elevated, unvegetated spot and applied for tenure.
The displaced indigenous people set fire to the thatched roofs of the Spaniards, delaying the further distribution of their land for two years.
Audiencia de los Confines
By a cédula of September 3, 1543, Philip II. (Spain) ordered the Audiencia de los Confines to be constituted in Comayagua. In the same letter he gave the ejido the name of Santa María de la Nueva Valladolid de Comayagua after Valladolid, his residence. The part of the city administered by the Cabildo de Españoles was called Concepción de Comayagua.
Thanks to its inland location, protected from pirate raids, very fertile soil for agriculture and livestock, and the presence of productive silver mines nearby, the population grew, living in houses of bahareque and brick construction. In 1533, the priest Jerónimo Clemente founded a Mercedarian Convent.
In 1550 Truxillo had been chosen as the seat for the bishop and the second bishop of Honduras officiated there.
In 1551, a stone church was built in Comayagua at a cost of 1500 gold pesos. In 1552, the priest Jerónimo de Correll was appointed the third bishop of Honduras. The bishop’s see of Truxillo had just been sacked by pirates, with letters of marque from England and France. In order not to let his bull of appointment for the diocese of Trujillon expire, he had to take his episcopal see in Truxillo, since Comayagua was not a bishopric and had no cathedral.
The priest Alonso de Guaman requested the Audiencia de Guatemala to transfer the bishopric to Gracias a Dios, where there was a church and a Cabildo de Espanoles. Bishop Pedriza, the first bishop to be based in Honduras from 1536, had taken a house as his episcopal see. The Audiencia de Guatemala ordered Alonso de Guaman to take his episcopal see in Comayagua, which was in the center of the bishopric and had a suitable church. The years 1559 and 1562 are given as dates for a possible sanction of this transfer.
In 1555 Bishop Jerónimo de Correll of Comayagua made a tour of his diocese, visiting Trujillo, Puerto Caballos, San Pedro Sula and Gracias a Dios. In 1560 he traveled to Mexico to be anointed bishop.
In 1564 the only church of Comayagua, that of the Mercedarian Convent, was upgraded to the Cathedral of Honduras, and Comayagua has since been called a bishopric. The royal cédula that sanctioned this move bears the date 1572.
In 1574, the Caja Real, the Royal Bank, an institution of the Real Hacienda of the Ministry of Finance, was moved from San Pedro Sula to Comayagua. This happened because of the profitable exploitation of the silver mines near Comayagua.
In 1577, Philip II. (Spain) upgraded the place to Ciudad. In 1582, the king inquired whether the church of Comayagua was suitable as a church for an episcopal see. Bishop Corrella received 800 ducats from the king, with which he had masons and painters remodel the church of the Mercedarian Convent into an episcopal church.
It can be assumed that Bishop Corrella operated the transfer of the episcopal see from Comayagua starting in 1555. A series of reports, dating between 1559 and 1562, were found at the Audiencia de Guatemala, which highlight the advantages of Comayagua that can be attributed to this transfer procedure. In this procedure, the civil, military and ecclesiastical authorities of the Consejo de Indias had to be convinced.
The conspicuously long administrative procedure prevented Comayagua from regaining an independent position of power, as it had been in the days of the Audiencia de los Confines. Now Comayagua was a nowhere, administered by the Capitanía General del Reyno de Guatemala in the Viceroyalty of New Spain.
Comayagua was damaged by earthquakes in 1774 and 1804.
From 1776 Comayagua was the capital of the Intendencia de Comayagua
In 1812, José Gregorio Tinoco de Contreras, as mayor of Comayagua, proclaimed independence from metropolitan Spain. In November 1817, the Consejo de Indias granted independence to the Alcaldía Mayor of Tegucigalpa from the Comayagua government except in matters of defense. In 1821, 1822 Comayagua was capital of the province of Comayagua in the Mexican empire of Agustín de Itúrbide, while resistance to annexation from Mexico was stirring in Tegucigalpa. As of 1823, Comayagua was the capital province of Comayagua in the Central American Confederation.
From 1823, the seat of the government of Honduras alternated between Comayagua and Tegucigalpa.
Comayagua was occupied on May 10, 1827, by troops of the Confederate government under Manuel José Arce y Fagoaga, José Dionisio de la Trinidad de Herrera y Díaz del Valle was deposed and arrested.
Subsequently, José Francisco Morazán Quezada had the troops of the Confederate government under Manuel José Arce y Fagoaga fight and became Supremo Director
of the province of Honduras in Comayagua.
Since October 30, 1880, under the government of Marco Aurelio Soto, Tegucigalpa has been the capital of Honduras.
Places of interest
- On the Plaza Central de Comayagua the patron saint fiestas are celebrated.
- The Palacio de la Alcaldía Municipal was built in the 16th century.
- The Cathedral de Comayagua was consecrated on 8 December 1711.
Hispano Fútbol Club
From Comayagua comes the Hispano Fútbol Club, for which the mayor has built a stadium with his name.
Base Aérea Enrique Soto Cano
15 kilometers south of Comayagua, the Palmerola Air Base was built in 1982 in the Comayagua Valley with three by 20 kilometers, the most extensive air base in Central America. The name reminds of Enrique Soto from New York City, which let itself be proclaimed during an uprising in the Puerto Cortés, in April 1897 against Policarpo Bonilla to the president, is meant however a pilot from the football war. About 550 U.S. military personnel are called Joint Task Force-Bravo and provide humanitarian intervention with 650 civilian personnel.
In the fire at Comayagua prison on 14 February 2012 at 22:50 local time (5:50 CET on 15 February), 356 inmates are missing and presumed dead. 470 inmates managed to escape. According to authorities, an inmate started the fire by lighting a mattress.
Rescue workers could not find keys to cell doors. One detainee reported over 60 people in his cell.
The prison had more than 800 inmates serving medium-length sentences and working in agriculture during the day. It is not a maximum security prison. This fire was the largest prison fire in decades in the world. The prison was designed to hold 400 people, but was occupied by 820 people. Honduras has a total of 13,000 prisoners in prisons for 8000.
Sons and daughters of the city
- Noel Valladares (* 1977), football goalkeeper
- comayagua, Fundación de Comayagua
- La Prensa, A rescatar la caxa real de Honduras(page no longer available, search web archives ) Info: Thelink was automatically marked as broken. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Asociación para el Fomento de los Estudios Históricos en Centroamérica, TORNOS SANTA CLARA CAGIGAL, Juan Antonio(page no longer available, search web archives ) Info: Thelink was automatically marked as broken. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- http://orf.at/stories/2105179/2105155/ Hundreds of inmates killed in large fire, ORF.at, February 15, 2012, retrieved February 16, 2012
- Fire in prison: “We screamed for help, but they did not open”(Memento of 26 September 2014 in the Internet Archive)