|Production Period:||since 2005|
|Body versions:||Sedan, station wagon, estate car|
|Previous model:||Buick Sail|
The Chevrolet Sail is a small car, the current generation of which has been built by Shanghai GM in China since 2010. The car is sold in China, but also in other emerging markets.
While the first generation is based on the Opel Corsa B, the second generation was developed directly in China. The car is offered below 60,000 RMB, a price segment in which only Chinese brands have been active so far. The Sail is based on the current design of Chevrolet models.
1. Generation (2005-2009)
|Body versions:||Sedan, station wagon|
After the Chevrolet brand entered the Chinese market in 2005, the model previously marketed as the Buick Sail (a derivative of the Opel Corsa B) was offered under the Chevrolet brand. Body styles included a 4152 mm notchback sedan and a 4097 mm long estate were available. Both featured a 1598 cc R4 petrol engine with a maximum output of 68 kW. Production ran until the end of 2009.
Rear view station wagon
Rear view notchback saloon
2. Generation (2010-2019)
Chevrolet Sail 1.4
|Body versions:||Sedan, station wagon|
|Tare weight:||1020-1124 kg|
|Stars in Latin NCAP crash test (2016),without airbags||
Body styles include notchback and estate cars are available. While the notchback saloon was introduced in January 2010, the formal while the notchback saloon was presented in January 2010, the formal premiere of the estate saloon with the name suffix Hatchback followed at the Auto China 2010 in Beijing. This is the first car developed directly in China as part of a joint venture. The car is equipped with two airbags as standard, while ABS costs extra. In July 2014, the one millionth vehicle of this generation was sold. In the Indian market, the vehicle was offered until the end of 2017. GM’s Colmotores plant in Bogota, Colombia produced the notchback variant of the vehicle between 2012 and 2019 and CKD kits of the vehicle were assembled in Ecuador. In South America, the notchback sedan will be sold as the Chevrolet ChevyTaxi Premium (in the 2020 model year) and the station wagon was offered as the Chevrolet ChevyTaxi Plus for the taxi market.
The car is powered by either a 1.2-litre petrol engine with a maximum output of 64 kW or a 1.4-litre petrol engine with 76 kW. While the 1.2-liter engine comes directly from the higher-priced Chevrolet Aveo, the 1.4-liter engine is actually more powerful than the Aveo. In India a 1.2-litre turbocharged diesel engine with common-rail fuel injection and a maximum output of 57 kW was also available for the vehicle, marketed as the 1.3 SDE SMARTECH.
Rear view station wagon (Hatch)
Rear view notchback saloon
3. Generation (since 2014)
Chevrolet Sail (since 2014)
|Production Period:||since 2014|
|Tare weight:||1057-1107 kg|
|Stars in Latin NCAP crash test (2018),without airbags||
The third generation Sail was formally unveiled to the public at the Guangzhou Auto Show in November 2014. The engines, a maximum 76 kW 1.3-litre and a 1.5-litre 83 kW petrol engine, are both equipped with a start-stop function. The vehicle is only available for purchase as a notchback sedan. In Mexico, it has been offered since the end of 2017 as the Chevrolet Aveo.
|Construction period||2014–2019||since 2014|
|Motor type||R4 petrol engine|
|Cubic capacity||1349 cm³||1485 cm³|
|max. power at min-1||76 kW (103 PS) / 6000||83 kW (113 PS) / 6000|
|max. torque at min-1||127 Nm / 4000||141 Nm / 4000|
|Drive, standard||Front wheel drive|
|Gearbox, standard||5-speed manual transmission|
|Gearbox, optional||Automatic transmission|
|Maximum speed||175 km/h||180 km/h|
|Acceleration, 0-100 km/h||12.4 s [14.0 s]||11.3 s [13.4 s]|
|Fuel consumption per 100 km, combined||5,1 l Super||5,4 l Super|
|Empty weight||1057 kg [1060 kg]||1103 kg [1107 lb]|
|Tank capacity||35 l||39 l|
Values in square brackets apply to models with automatic transmission
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- Danny Tan:Export plans confirmed for China-designed Chevrolet Sail compact sedan.In: paultan.org. 12 January 2010, retrieved 15 December 2018 (American English).
- Характеристики Chevrolet Sail 1.6 MT 5MT Sedan 2005-2009 год. Размер дисков, тип двигателя, кузова, фото и цены Chevrolet Sail 1.6 MT 5MT Sedan.In: 9151394.ru. Retrieved December 15, 2018 (Russian).
- Характеристики Chevrolet Sail 1.6 MT 5MT Wagon 2005-2009 год. Размер дисков, тип двигателя, кузова, фото и цены Chevrolet Sail 1.6 MT 5MT Wagon.In: 9151394.ru. Retrieved December 15, 2018 (Russian).
- Chevrolet Sail Sedan | ChinaAutoWeb.In: chinaautoweb.com. Retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Chevrolet Sail.In: latinncap.com. LATIN NCAP, retrieved 1 December 2019 (English).
- Chevy Sail from Shanghai-GM | ChinaAutoWeb.In: chinaautoweb.com. Retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Chevrolet Sail Hatchback from Shanghai-GM | ChinaAutoWeb.In: chinaautoweb.com. Retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Chevrolet Sail Small Car Unveiled by Shanghai GM.In: motor1.com. 11 January 2010, retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Andrei Tutu:2010 Chevrolet New Sail Hatchback Introduced in Beijing – autoevolution.In: autoevolution.com. 23 April 2010, retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Chevrolet Sail Sales Reach a Million in China.In: media.gm.com. 2 July 2014, retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Chevrolet Sail Hatchback Price, Images, Mileage, Reviews, Specs.In: cardekho.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019 (English).
- The Chevrolet Sail finishes its production in Colombia.In: news1.news. News1 English, September 19, 2019, retrieved December 1, 2019 (English).
- Oscar Julian Restrepo Mantilla:Ya viene el Chevrolet Chevytaxi Plus: El Beat se vestirá de amarillo.In: elcarrocolombiano.com. November 30, 2019, retrieved 1 December 2019 (es-CO).
- Chevrolet – Ecuador – Sail.In: media.gm.com. Archived from.OriginalOctober4,2013; retrieved 1 December 2019 (Spanish).
- GM Releases Two Chevy Taxi Models in Columbia – The News Wheel.In: thenewswheel.com. 21 September 2018, retrieved 15 December 2018 (American English).
- CHEVYTAXI PREMIUM.In: ayuramotor.com.co. Retrieved December 1, 2019 (Spanish).
- Chevytaxi Plus | Engine.In: motor.com.co. 12 August 2015, retrieved 15 December 2018 (Spanish).
- Chevrolet Sail.In: media.gm.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019 (English, India).
- Chevrolet New Aveo.In: latinncap.com. LATIN NCAP, retrieved 1 December 2019 (English).
- Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac Take Center Stage at Guangzhou Auto Show.In: media.gm.com. 20 November 2014, retrieved 15 December 2018 (English).
- Gerardo García:Chevrolet Aveo 2019 en México: Primeras imágenes.In: motorpasion.com.mx. 20 November 2017, retrieved 1 December 2019 (Spanish).