Carl Friedrich von Kraut
Carl Friedrich von Kraut (* 23 July 1703 in Berlin; † 23 December 1767 ibid.) was chief court marshal of Prince Henry of Prussia.
He was the son of the Privy Councillor of War Christian Friedrich von Kraut (1650-1714) and Johanna Concordia von Drost (1679-1714). His uncle was the minister Johann Andreas von Kraut. He received his education at the Royal Pedagogy of the Orphanage Halle.
After the death of his father and uncle, Kraut and his sister Constantia Amalia Sophia von Kraut (1699-1745), who was married to the cathedral provost of Havelberg Johann Heinrich von Bredow (1676-1739), inherited a considerable fortune in 1723. Kraut joined the French army, where he rose to the rank of colonel.
At the latest with the death of his sister in 1745 he left the army. He became guardian of her feeble-minded sons Johann Heinrich (1716-1782) and Karl Samuel Ludwig (1721-1788) and inherited the land of Löwenberg. Around 1750 Kraut became court marshal to Prince Heinrich, brother of Frederick the Great, at Rheinsberg Palace. In Berlin he met his future wife Ilse Sophie von Platen. During the Seven Years’ War, Kraut repeatedly accompanied Princess Heinrich to the place of refuge of the Prussian court, Magdeburg (Magdeburg Fortress).
With his wife Ilse Sophie von Platen (1731-1795), whom he married on 8 September 1756 in the presence of the Queen Mother Sophie Dorothea and Queen Elisabeth Christine of Prussia, he had three children, of whom only the daughter Charlotte reached adulthood:
- Christian Wilhelm Heinrich Ferdinand Aemilius (1758-1759)
- Carl Heinrich Friedrich (1759-1760)
- Luise Charlotte Henriette (1762-1819)
- ⚭ 1778, (divorce 1783) Hugh Elliott (1752-1830), British envoy to Berlin
- 25 April 1784 Georg Anton Wilhelm zu Innhausen und Knyphausen (1744-1789)
- ⚭ 16 December 1790 (divorce 1809) Friedrich Rudolph Karl von Arnstedt (1766-1847)
- Theodor Fontane: Five Castles. Hoppenrade(Chapter 27)
- Sabina Freifrau von Thuemmler: Die Krautenmutter. The Life of Sophie von Platen. BoD, 2018, ISBN 978-3-7481-3128-1.
|NAME||Kraut, Carl Friedrich von|
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Krautt, Friedrich von|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Lord Marshal of Prince Henry of Prussia|
|DATE OF BIRTH||23. July 1703|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|STERBEDATUM||23. December 1767|