|Kingdom of Westphalia|
|Department||Department of the Werra|
|Main town of the canton||Breitenbach am Herzberg|
|Area||1.81 square miles|
|Villages and hamlets||13|
The Canton of Breitenbach was an administrative unit in the Hersfeld District of the Department of the Werra in the Napoleonic Kingdom of Westphalia. The main town of the canton and seat of the Peace Court was the village of Breitenbach am Herzberg in the present-day district of Hersfeld-Rotenburg. The canton comprised 13 villages and hamlets,most of which had previously belonged to the court of Breitenbach, had 2,800 inhabitants and an area of 1.81 square miles.
The canton included the villages
- Breitenbach am Herzberg with Gibcheshof
- Gehau with Hof Huhnstadt and Herzberg Castle
- Hatterode with oak tree
- Lower Jossa
- Oberjossa with Ottersbach farm
- “Royal Decree ordering the division of the Kingdom into eight departments”. “Verzeichniß der Departements, Districte, Cantons und Communen des Königreichs”. In: Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe (ed.): Projekt Westfälische Geschichte. P. 205 (PDF4.9MB [accessed 26 April 2009]).
- Friedrich Justin Bertuch (ed.): Allgemeine geographische Ephemeriden. With Charts and Engravings. Six and thirtieth volume. Verlage des Landes-Industrie-Comtoirs, Weimar 1911, p. 61 ( PDF19.2MB [accessed 26 April 2009]).