Bundesinteressenvertretung schwuler Senioren
The Bundesinteressenvertretung schwuler Senioren e.V. (short BISS) is a nationwide professional association for the interests and self-help of older gays. Membership is open to non-profit organizations and groups as well as supporting individual members. The association includes organisations from the field of gay senior citizen work, education and AIDS work as well as committed personalities from the gay emancipation movement, including the Deutsche AIDS-Hilfe, the Magnus Hirschfeld Centre Hamburg and the Waldschlösschen Academy Foundation.
The advocacy group was founded on July 1, 2015, especially against the background of the pending rehabilitation and compensation of victims under § 175 StGB. The main tasks include the networking of gay senior groups and associations of gay self-help as well as political lobbying to strengthen the participation of older gays.
State Secretary Ralf Kleindiek from the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSFJ) clarified the importance of the issues supported by BISS in a speech at the BISS annual conference in November 2016 and assured BISS of the federal government’s support.
The BMFSFJ has funded BISS to date as follows:
- 2015: 49,817 euros
- 2016: 70,973 Euro
- 2017: 50 000 euro
Projects and topics
- Compensation and rehabilitation of victims of § 175 after 1945:
- With the campaign “Offene Rechnung” and an open letter to Federal Minister of Justice Heiko Maas, the Bundesinteressenvertretung schwuler Senioren e. V. (Federal Interest Group of Gay Seniors) urged in 2016 the rehabilitation and compensation of gay men who were convicted under § 175 (Federal Republic) or § 151 (GDR). In a statement requested by the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection on the draft bill of the Rehabilitation Act, BISS supported the demands for compensation and rehabilitation.
- Participation and sharing:
- Politics, administration and associations should be called upon to take into account the concerns of groups that have been poorly represented up to now, including gay men. The special life paths of older gay men should be taken into account and precarious life situations such as poverty in old age, loneliness, illness and loss or restriction of mobility should be considered.
- HIV and AIDS:
- In order to represent the interests of older gay men, BISS has been given a seat on the specialist working group “Gay Men and Other MSM” of the Deutsche AIDS-Hilfe e. V. (German AIDS Aid Association).
- Care and supply:
- BISS supports the expansion of culturally sensitive services for gay men in open, outpatient and inpatient care for the elderly.
- Website BISS.Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Association statutes BISS.(PDF) Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Gay men: With BISS into old age!In: DeutscheAIDS-Hilfe. 2 July 2015, retrieved 10 March 2017.
- queer.com:Association for gay seniors founded.Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- m-men.com:Gays with BISS.Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Dr. Ralf Kleindiek congratulates the Federal Interest Group of Gay Seniors on its foundation In: Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth 1 July 2015
- Axel Schröder BISS Federal Congress: Gay – and the old problems In: Deutschlandfunk 1 November 2016
- Dr. Ralf Kleindiek attends BISS annual conference In: Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth 1 November 2016
- Answer of the Federal Government to the small inquiry of the Members of Parliament Jörn Wunderlich, Nicole Gohlke, Katja Kipping, further Members of Parliament and the parliamentary group Die Linke, 21 October 2016
- Statement on the draft bill of the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection.(PDF) In: LSVD.de. 21 December 2016, retrieved 14 March 2017.
- Care and supply.Bundesinteressenvertretung schwuler Senioren, retrieved on 10 March 2017.