Brauerei Gustav Schraube
The Gustav Schraube Brewery, also initially known as the Brown Beer Brewery and Brandy Distillery (from 1795), was Pritzwalk’s best-known and largest brewery in the period from 1896 until its official expropriation in 1949. The brewery was nationalized as a People’s Owned Enterprise in 1949. Between 1989 and 1992 the Volkseigene Brauerei was administered by the Treuhand. In 1992 it was privatized under a new owner. In 1995/1996 the brewery was rebuilt and in 1997 the beer garden and the old malt house were opened. In 1999 the brewery changed its name to Brauhaus Preußen Pils GmbH. In 2006 the brewery was bought by the Bavarian business family Oettinger. The brewery had to file for insolvency in 2009.
The Prussian reforms brought with them self-administration rights with the town ordinance of 1808 and the freedom of trade in 1810, which destroyed the old guild order in favour of free economic activity.
On April 11, 1795, a brown beer brewery and brandy distillery was established on the site of Marktstraße 58, which was one of about ten breweries at the current location of the Volks- und Raiffeisenbank (as of 2021).
From 1830 the business was sold to the brewer Ernst Huth, and from 1835 his sons August Friedrich and Johann Friedrich traded the brewery as Gebrüder Huth. Under this new management, lager beer was produced from 1845. The new bottom-fermented Bavarian beer required a storage period of several weeks, for which new cellars were built in 1847. In 1859 the 5000 inhabitants of the town were supplied with beer by now three breweries.
In 1862, the Huth brothers expanded to the gates of the city and began building a new bairn brewery at the Meyenburger Tor. From then on, the old factory on Marktstraße functioned only as a yeast factory and distillery. A modern ensemble of buildings was created, consisting of a malthouse and the brewery. The malt house and kiln belonged to the malt house, the brew house, fermentation cellar and lager cellar to the brewery. Directly on the road to Meyenburg a representative villa was built for the owners.
In 1891, the Berlin brewing family Minna and Gustav Schraube (entrepreneurial family from Magdeburg) entered the brewing business in Pritzwalk. After the First World War, the brewery developed into the largest private brewery in Brandenburg. The company experienced the peak of beer production in 1943 with an annual output of 40,000 hectolitres of “Schraube-Pils”. After the Second World War the brewery was expropriated and continued to operate as VEB Brauerei Pritzwalk. After a comprehensive modernisation of the brewery the production was increased to 60,000 hectolitres. In the GDR the Pritzwalker Pils was in demand beyond the district of Pritzwalk.
In 1992 the brewery was privatised and since 1999 has been called Brauhaus Preußen Pils GmbH. Brauhaus Preußen Pils GmbH acquired the rights to Bärenquell from the Bärenquell brewery. Bärenquell was henceforth produced as a further brand alongside the house brand Preußen Pils.
In 2006, shortly after the Bavarian Oettinger family of companies bought the brewery in Pritzwalk, the Pritzwalk operation was brewing about 50,000 hectoliters of beer per year with 17 employees, according to press reports. In 2009, the company had to file for insolvency.
From the insolvency mass of the company the municipal housing association could buy out the office of the brewery. Today (as of 2021) parts of the permanent exhibition of the Museumsfabrik Pritzwalk, the club and exhibition rooms of the Landfrauen Pritzwalk und Umgebung e.V. and the Kunst Freunde Pritzwalk e.V. are located there.
Also the teachers of the Kreismusikschule Prignitz teach in the former office of the Pritzwalk brewery.
Products and brands
- Until 1949
Pritzwalker Bockbier light and dark, Schraube Brewery Pilsner, Caramel Beer, Double Malt Beer, Wheat Malt Beer, “Hell”, Schrauben’s Single Beer, Munich, Finest Light Table Beer
- Until 1972
Pritzwalker Bock, Bockbier Starkbier, Doppelkaramell Vollbier, Pritzwalker Dunkel, Einfachbier, Vollbier Hell, Malzbier, Diabetic Vollbier dunkel, 700 Jahre Stadt Pritzwalk Jubiläumstrunk (Festbier), German Pilsner Vollbier, Prignitzer Gold German Pilsator
- Until 1989
Bock beer light and dark, strong beer light and dark, Märkischer Landmann strong beer, double caramel beer – full beer and malt full beer, full beer light, German Porter Prignitzer Rubin – strong beer, German Pilsner, Prignitzer Gold German Pilsator, Pritzwalker Spezial, Wolfsblut full beer jubilee drink (1981 – 725 years Pritzwalk)
- after 1990
Pritzwalker Spezial (German Pilsner), Pritzwalker Premium Pilsner,
- Founded in 1795
- 1877 Brewery Gebr. Roth
- 1886 Brewery Aug. Huth
- 1893 Bavarian brewery Gebr. Huth
- 1896 Dampfbierbrauerei Pritzwalk, Gebr. Huth Nachf., Inh. Schraube & Co.
- 1913 Steam beer brewery Pritzwalk, Gebr. Huth Nachf., owner Gustav Schraube
- 1919 Brewery Gustav Schraube, owner Minna Schraube Wwe.
- 1948 Gustav Schraube Brewery, owned by Dr. Gustav Schraube
- Expropriated in 1949
- 1949 VVB Venag, VEB brewery Pritzwalk
- 1952 VVB d. Brau.- und Malzindustrie, VEB Brewery Pritzwalk
- 1969 VEB Brewery Pritzwalk
- 1972 Braukombinat Potsdam, Plant III Pritzwalk
- 1990 VEB brewery Pritzwalk in the VEB beverage combine Potsdam
- 1992 Prignitz Brewery Pritzwalk GmbH
- 1992 Privatbrauerei Preußen – Pils GmbH
- Rolf Rehberg, Wolfgang Simon: Illustrated history of Pritzwalk, publishing house city administration Pritzwalk, 2nd edition, ISBN 3-00-018900-9
- Municipal archive Pritzwalk, No. 3132, files brewery/yeast factory in the museum Pritzwalk.