|Height:||225 m above sea level|
|Residents:||600 (Jan. 1, 2014)|
|Population Density:||113 inhabitants/km²|
Location of Böhrigen in Saxony
Böhrigen is a district of the municipality of Striegistal in the district of Central Saxony in Saxony. The village merged with five other villages on 1 January 1994 to form the municipality of Tiefenbach, which in turn has belonged to the municipality of Striegistal since 1 July 2008.
Böhrigen is located in the west of the municipality of Striegistal. The river Striegis flows through the village. Böhrigen is located 36 km northeast of Chemnitz. West of the village is the “Aussichtsturm Striegistal”.
Böhrigen was first mentioned in a document in 1183. The document shows that the Altzella monastery, founded in 1162, was originally to be built here. It is not known whether construction had already begun here before the convent moved to its later location near Nossen in 1175. The land continued to belong to the monastery. Later the monastery maintained a smelting works here, which is still commemorated today by the field name Schlackenbusch. It is certain that silver ores from nearby Gersdorf were smelted here. In this connection there were disputes with Margrave Heinrich zu Meißen. Around 1272 he had a monastic hut with two bellows on the Striegis in Böhrigen destroyed. In 1278 the margrave approved the re-erection of a hut with two bellows.
After the secularization of the Altzella monastery in 1540, Böhrigen came into margravial possession. The village, which at that time consisted of the former monastery property and some cottagers, first became an official village in the newly founded Wettin office of Nossen. The smelting works was sold to a Thomas Winkler in 1565. Since 1696 the manor Böhrigen is mentioned, which from then on also exercised the landlordship over the village. It emerged from an outlying estate proven in 1539, which in turn had originated from a monastery estate of the 12th century. Böhrigen has always been parished to Etzdorf.
Böhrigen belonged to the Electoral Saxon or Royal Saxon office of Nossen until 1856. From 1856 Böhrigen belonged to the Gerichtsamt Roßwein and from 1875 to the Amtshauptmannschaft Döbeln which was renamed in 1939 to the district of Döbeln. In the second half of the 19th century a rapid economic upswing began due to the settlement of textile companies. At the end of the industrialisation period the industrial village reached its population peak. In 1874 Böhrigen got a railway station at the railway line Roßwein-Niederwiesa, which was closed in 2000 with the discontinuation of freight traffic on the section Roßwein-Niederwiesa.
With the second district reform in the GDR, the municipality of Böhrigen came in 1952 to the newly founded district of Hainichen in the district of Chemnitz (renamed in 1953 to the district of Karl-Marx-Stadt). Since 1990, the municipality of Böhrigen belonged to the Saxon district of Hainichen, which merged with the district of Mittweida in 1994 and with the district of Mittelsachsen in 2008.
On 1 January 1994, the municipality of Böhrigen merged with the municipalities of Dittersdorf, Arnsdorf, Etzdorf (with Gersdorf), Marbach (with Kummersheim) and Naundorf to form the municipality of Tiefenbach. The municipalities of Tiefenbach and Striegistal in turn merged on 1 July 2008 to form the new municipality of Striegistal, whereby Böhrigen is since then a district of Striegistal.
Place name forms
In the course of the centuries the place name underwent several changes
- 1183 in loco, qui dicitur Bor
- 1278 curia super fluvio Striguz sita … dicta Bore
- 1352 Boyrchyn
- 1388 Borichen
- 1539/40 Borchen
- 1540 Bohrigen, Borichenn
- 1791 Bo(e)richen, or Bohringen
The name goes back to the Old Sorbian word bor – coniferous forest. Even today, a forested elevation is called Borberg.
Sons and daughters of the village
- Anton Wiede (1836-1911), mining engineer and entrepreneur
- Erich Knabe (1882-1940), Lutheran clergyman
- Martin Kröger (1894-1980), chemist and professor at the University of Leipzig
- Friedrich Martin Wegert (1895-1980), painter, graphic artist and designer in Munich and Böhrigen
- Friedrich Wernicke (1902-1982), mountain captain
Personalities who have worked on site
- Friedrich Gottlob Lehmann (1805-1869), textile manufacturer and member of the state parliament
- Carl Gustav Leonhardt (1845-1903), textile manufacturer, builder of the observation tower (birthplace Hainichen, later residence Böhrigen)
Places of interest
Böhrigen station, opened on 28 August 1874, was located on the Roßwein-Niederwiesa railway line. Passenger traffic ended on 24 May 1998; freight traffic on 1 January 2000. In the meantime, the section between Roßwein and Hainichen has been closed down, the railway facilities have been largely dismantled. As a replacement for the closed railway connection, the bus lines 616 and 640 operate.
To the west of Böhrigen runs the Bundesstraße 169, via which the junction 73 (“Hainichen”) of the Bundesautobahn 4 can be reached.
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files
- Böhrigen in the digital historical gazetteer of Saxony
- Official website of the municipality of Striegistal
- Böhrigen on the website of the municipality of Striegistal
- Eberhard Keil: Lehmann’s village 1830-1869, an industrial history from Hainichen and Böhrigen near Roßwein in the Kingdom of Saxony, Marbach a. N. 2001, ISBN 3-934136-03-6
- Richard Witzsch: Between Chemnitz and Freiberg, A local history book for school and home, The villages at the Striegis, Frankenberg 1929, Reprint Striegistal 2012
- Bergarchiv Freiberg, BA-F-C/29Lit F Bergbelehnungsbuch 1553-1561, Bl. 204 b.
- The Böhrigen manor at www.sachsens-schlösser.de
- Karlheinz Blaschke, Uwe Ulrich Jäschke: Kursächsischer Ämteratlas. Leipzig 2009, ISBN 978-3-937386-14-0; p. 70 f.
- The Amtshauptmannschaft Döbeln in the 1900 municipal directory
- Michael Rademacher:German administrative history from the unification of the German Reich in 1871 to reunification in 1990. doebeln.html.online dissertation material, Osnabrück 2006).
- Böhrigen on gov.genealogy.net
- Tiefenbach on gov.genealogy.net
- Karlheinz Blaschke (ed.): Historisches Ortsverzeichnis von Sachsen, new edition, Leipzig 2006, ISBN 3-937209-15-8, page 112
- Ernst Eichler, Hans Walther (eds.): Historisches Ortsnamenbuch von Sachsen, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-05-003728-8, Volume I, page 91f.
- Frieder Wegert – mathe.tu-freiberg.de
- Website of the lookout tower Striegistal
- Viewingtower Striegistal on the website of the association Aussichtsturm Striegistal e.V.