|Legal form||charitable organization|
bbb korea(before babel brigade) is a non-profit organization in South Korea that provides free interpretation services by volunteer interpreters. The organization was founded in 2003 with the goal of creating a society without language or cultural barriers. bbb korea is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea.
bbb korea initially started in 2002 as a campaign for the FIFA World Cup and the 2002 Asian Games. The bbb campaign aims to facilitate visitors’ communication in Korea through free interpretation services. The service was facilitated through the use of phone calls. When one calls and selects the language, bbb korea automatically connected the speaker with an available volunteer interpreter. The name bbb before babel brigade alludes to the time before the Tower of Babel, when there was supposedly a world without communication problems.
In 2003, bbb korea was registered as a non-profit organization. It is approved as a non-profit by the Korean Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. It supports international events in Korea, such as the 2003 Daegu Summer Universiade and the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. Currently, it is an organization with over 4500 volunteers for 20 languages.
Language translation service
Individuals with language difficulties can choose bbb korea to use the interpretation service free of charge. The bbb interpretation service can be used by dialing and selecting the language through an automatic response system (ARS). Then the speaker is automatically connected to an available interpreter. Another option is to download the bbb application on a smartphone. In the app, users can select the language they want and are connected to an interpreter accordingly. Those who wish to register as a volunteer interpreter for bbb korea can apply through the bbb korea website. After successfully passing the language test and completing the interpreter training, the applicant can become a bbb interpreter. Applicants are expected to have a high level of language comprehension and situationally appropriate responses.
- Chinese language
bbb korea is also pursuing global projects. In 2014, it implemented the bbb service in Brazil for the World Cup. The project was called Rio Amigo and was a project that offered free interpretation service to both local and foreign visitors. The project enabled communication between different nationalities.
- Korean Cultural Centers
Centers teaching Korean language and culture abroad are run by bbb. The centers offer Korean language and culture courses such as K-POP dance classes. They are located in Myanmar and Vietnam.
- Cultural Exchange Events
bbb korea organizes the annual “bbb International Friends Day”. This event brings together the families of bbb volunteers and friends from abroad to participate in cultural activities. In 2018, the 10th bbb International Friends Day was held in Seoul Forest with over 2000 participants.
- Communication campaigns
bbb korea, through its interpretation service, organizes campaigns to promote Korea without language barriers. The campaigns have been conducted in various locations, such as Incheon Airport
, at Seoul Station and more.
- bbb Probono (student volunteer group)
bbb Probono is a student volunteer group of bbb korea. The term pro bono stands for “for the common good.” The student group introduces different cultures around the world to minimize cultural barriers. It organizes various cultural programs such as creating online content and organizing campaigns.
- bbb Magazine Heart&Communication
Every season, bbb korea publishes a magazine entitled “Heart & Communication”. The magazine features articles and interviews on language and culture.
- Tong In A:Beyond Barriers of Language -BBB Korea. in: The Granite Tower. The Granite Tower. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- Ministry of culture, Sports and Tourism of Republic of Korea:Government Registered Information.
- Choi Yong-seok:Global travel guide app for ‘Pyeongchang ryu’ Best 4: Biz N.In: Tech2. Dong-A Ilbo, retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Choi Miri:The bbb Korea’s Volunteer Interpretation App. Miri Choi Retrieved August 16, 2015.
- Herald Korea:BBB KOREA app offers interpretation service.In: KOREA HERALD. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- bbb Korea为您解除外国语沟通障碍，帮您在韩国顺畅交流.In: CNAIR. Retrieved on January 28, 2019.
- 緊急時の連絡先Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. retrieved 2 January 2019.
- 財布やカバンを盗まれた（なくした）ときに使えるフレーズ集In: korean-phrase .com. 韓国語フレーズ Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Bahng Gyo-Young:Telephone Interpretation Service Provided by Social Organization : Focused on the case of Russian telephone interpretation provided by ‘BBB Korea’. in: earticle .net. journal of the Interpretation & Translation Institute. retrieved 1 August 2018.
- BBB Korea includes Swahili on interpretation service ahead of AfDB meeting.In: devdiscourse.com. Devdiscourse, retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Barchfield Jenny:Korean translation program hits Brazil World Cup.In: MailOnline. Daily Mail, accessed 11 June 2014.
- WOOLGAR ANDRE:S. Korea Translation Service BBB to Set Up Shop in Indonesia, Seek Volunteers.In: JAKARTAGLOBE. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Safrin La Batu:Assistants ready to help foreign visitors.In: The JakartaPost. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- Hue University:Hue University and BBB Korea signs a MOU. HUE UNIVERSITY Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- Jung Suk-yee:BBB Korea Promotes Campaign ‘Creating Incheon Airport Without Language Barriers’.BUSINESSKOREA Korea’s Premium Business News Portal, accessed August 8, 2015.