August Schröder (Archivar)
August Schröder (* 8 May 1908 in Hollenstede (today the town of Fürstenau); † 19 June 1993 in Münster) was a state archivist and holder of the Federal Cross of Merit.
After attending the Humanist Gymnasium Meppen, he studied theology and Romance philology (Latin, French) at the University of Innsbruck, at the Sorbonne in Paris and at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität in Münster.
Commitment to research and archives
From 1938 to 1977 he held positions as managing director, as well as the editor of the Beiträge für Westfälische Familienforschung, Additionally he was chairman of the Westfälische Gesellschaft für Genealogie und Familienforschung.
From 1946 to 1975 he was archivist at the Archivberatungsstelle (today LWL-Archivamt für Westfalen) in Münster.
He worked intensively to save the Rheine municipal archives, which had been flooded in 1946. Numerous noble archives benefited from his work.
From 1976 he was a corresponding member of the Historical Commission for Westphalia.
- Lower Saxony Cross of Merit on Ribbon for his efforts in the history of the Osnabrück North Country
- Federal Cross of Merit First Class for his commitment to local history
- Honorary member of the Westphalian Society for Genealogy and Family Research
- Honorary citizen of the city of Fürstenau
- Naming of a street in Hollenstede as August-Schröder-Straße
Essays and writings since 1976
- In “Beiträge zur westfälischen Familienforschung” volume 30-32 a detailed bibliography for writings of Dr. August Schröder until 1974 has been published.
The following bibliography gives only a brief overview of some of his essays and writings.
- Quakenbrücker trade and change. From the foundation of the town around 1240 to the opening of the railway connection Quakenbrück-Osnabrück in 1876. From the shooting of the old Osnabrück fortress town Fürstenau. In: Heimat-Jahrbuch für Osnabrück – Stadt und Land. 1976. (1975). S. 57–59, 72–73.
- 100 years ago. Planning of the Rheine-Fürstenau-Quakenbrück railway. Representatives of the town of Fürstenau in Berlin in 1876. Home industry and Hollandgängerei around 1850. From a report of the Fürstenau Amtmann about the economic situation in the communities of the Kirchspiele Berge and Bippen. In: Osnabrücker Land. 1976. S. 82–85, 93–95.
- The birthday of the poet Annette Droste zu Hülshoff. Investigations so far. New written sources for dating. In: Contributions to family research in Westphalia. 33-35. 1975-1 977. S. 4–14.
- 800 years Roxel 1177-1977. (City of Münster. Documentation. 3177.) Münster: Stadtverwaltung/Presseamt 1977. 40 p. with ill.
- 75 years of Westphalian genealogical journal. 40 years of “Beiträge zur westfälischen Familienforschung”. Roll on Herr Rittmeister Sprengepiel’s company from the year 1640. in: Contributions to Westphalian genealogical research. 33-35. 1975–1977. (1978) S. 1–3, 153–159.
- Personal and family history. In: Methods and aims of local history. Contributions from seminars and working groups. Münster 1978. self-published by the Westfälischer Heimatbund. S. 28–42.
- In the interest of supplying their territory, promoting trade and the associated revenues, sovereigns and market lords grant escort to merchants and traders going to the markets. 1322. To supply and promote their land, the sovereigns temporarily abolished customs duties, which greatly stimulated trade. 1652. Trade monopolies such as the Osnabrück Legge ensure the sale of goods and thus the prosperity of the land through quality control and the exclusion of foreign competition. 1580. The construction of the house and the household goods characterize the social and economic situation of the citizen. 1493. In: “Osnabrück – 1200 years of progress and preservation”. Nuremberg 1980. pp. 163-166, l81/182, 244/245.
- Fürstenau at the time of the German Hanseatic League. In: Handbook of the Hanseatic Cities of Lower Saxony. Edited by Jürgen Bohmbach. Stade 1983. p. 55/56.
- Fürstenau – in former times and today. With historical time table, 6 picture reproductions (coloured pictures and 2 coloured map pictures – Fürstenau 1863, Fürstenau 1945 and today). In: “Sachunterricht”, volume 4. school year. Edition North (new edition). 1983. Pp. 20-22. Westermann-Verlag GmbH, Braunschweig.
- Friedrich Adolf Sauer (1765-1839). A contribution to the history of education in Westphalia in the 18th century. In: The reformer of the Sauerland school system (Publication series of the Menden municipal archives. Heft 2). Menden 1990. pp. 183-198. (First published in: From Westphalian History. Contribution to the history of education in Westphalia in the 18th century. Münster 1947).
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||german state archivist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||8. May 1908|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hollenstede (today town of Fürstenau)|
|STERBEDATUM||19. June 1993|