Arnstein office (Würzburg diocese)
The Amt Arnstein was an office of the Hochstift Würzburg.
The town, castle and office of Arnstein were owned by the noble family of Trimberg. On January 25, 1297, Konrad III of Trimberg, with the consent of his wife Adelheid, transferred this property to the high chapter of Würzburg and entered a monastery. His son Konrad IV contested the contract, but in a recess of 1292 the possession of the office of Würzburg was confirmed in perpetuity. On July 25, 1660, Elector Johann Philipp von Schönborn acquired the goods and rights of the widow Haxthausen for 3000 gulden.
The statistics of the Hochstift Würzburg from 1699 name 1034 subjects in one town and 20 villages. The annual income of the diocese from the office was: Treasury: 265 Reichstaler, 9 Batzen, Akzise and Ungeld: 680 fl and Rauchpfund: 1026 Pfund.
In 1719 the dominion of Büchold was acquired by Würzburg and in 1776 it was abolished as Amt Büchold and assigned to Amt Arnstein. It was now called Amt Arnstein with Büchold. In the 18th century the Amt Arnstein was also called Oberamt. It was formally headed by a noble Oberamtmann
After the transfer to Bavaria in 1802, the office was abolished and the majority of the villages were assigned to the district court of Arnstein.
The centennial Arnstein consisted of the below-mentioned official places as well as the following places from the office Trimberg: Schwebenried, Altbessingen, Burghausen and Gauaschach. In addition, the village of Gramschatz (bailiwick of Haug) belonged to the cent
The centennial court was held outside the town in front of the Schwebenrieder Tor. In winter it was held in the inn “Zum Engel” at the northern end of the market place next to the Schwebenrieder Tor. As a field name “Centhäusel”, about 300 meters northeast of the church points to this court place. The town itself had its own high court consisting of the bailiff, the sheriff and 12 council members. This court met in the town hall. The place of execution was located on the Galgenberg. The field names “Galgenberg”, about 1100 meters northeast of the church and “Stockgasse” about 400 meters west-southwest of the church indicate this.
This Oberamt consisted of the town of Arnstein and the villages of Binsbach, Binsfeld, Brebersdorf, Dattensoll, Erbshausen-Sulzwiesen, Eßleben, Gänheim, Greßthal, Halsheim, Hausen, Heugrumbach, Hundsbach, Kaisten, Marbach, Müdesheim, Mühlhausen, Obersfeld, Opferbaum, Reichelheim, Rieden, Rütschenhausen and Schwemmelsbach as well as the farms Erlasee, Ruppertzaint.
In 1719 Bettendorf, Büchold and Sachserhof were also acquired.
- Carl Heinrich von Hirschberg 
- Caspar Probst (Amtskeller, Stadtschultheiß and Zunftrichter) 
- Alfred Schröcker (editor): Statistik des Hochstiftes Würzburg um 1700, ISBN 3-8771-7031-5, pp. 38-42.
- Johann Kaspar Bundschuh: Amt Arnstein. In: Geographisches Statistisch-Topographisches Lexikon von Franken. Volume 6: V-Z . Verlag der Stettinischen Buchhandlung, Ulm 1804, DNB 790364328,OCLC 833753116 , Sp. 363( digital copy).
- Hans-Joachim Zimmermann: Gerichts- und Hinrichtungsstätten in hochstiftisch-würzburgischen Amts- und Landstätten, Diss. 1976, S. 119-120
- Würzburger Hof- und Staatskalender 1800, p. 131, Digitalisat