Andrés Bernáldez (b. c. 1450 at Fuentes de León, province of Badajoz; † 1513 (uncertain) at Los Palacios y Villafranca, province of Seville) was a Spanish clergyman and author of a history of the Catholic Monarchs
Bernáldez had received his early education from his grandfather, a notary in his birthplace. The latter is said to have supported his first historical attempts. After his clerical ordinations, Bernáldez became chaplain to the Archbishop of Seville, Diego de Deza, and parish priest of Los Palacios (hence his name: El cura de Los Palacios), where he wrote the Memorias del reinado de los Reyes Católicos.
Of Bernáldez, only his history of Ferdinand II and Isabella I has survived. As a contemporary witness, he illustrated some important aspects of Iberian history at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries. His chronicle covers the period between 1488 and 1513, and his reports on the conquest of Granada, the introduction of the Inquisition in Andalusia and the associated persecution of the Conversos, as well as the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492 (Alhambra Edict) have attracted particular attention. Much attention is also paid to his comments on Christopher Columbus, whom he had known personally and whom, according to his information, he was even allowed to receive at his home.
- Memorias del reinado de los Reyes Católicos que escribía el bachiller Cura de los Palacios. Manuel Gómez-Moreno Martínez and Juan de M. Carriazo (eds.) Madrid 1962
- older edition: Historia de los reyes católicos, Don Fernando y Doña Isabel. Seville 1870
- E. Michael Gerli: Social Crisis and Conversion: Apostasy and Inquisition in the Chronicles of Fernando del Pulgar and Andrés Bernáldez. In: Hispanic Review. 70,2 (2002), S. 147–167.
- Eleazar Gutwirth: The Jews in 15th Century Castilian Chronicles. In: The Jewish Quarterly Review 74.4 (1984), pp. 379-396.
- F. Ramírez Corría: Reconstrucción crítica del segundo viaje cubano de Colón. La ficción colombina del Cura de Los Palacios. In Archivo Histórico Pinero, 2 (1955).
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Bernal, Andrés; El cura de Los Palacios|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||spanish chronicler|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1450|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Fuentes de León (province of Badajoz)|
|DESTINATION||Los Palacios y Villafranca (Province of Seville)|