|General information about the mine|
|Mining technology||Civil Engineering|
|Information on the mining company|
|Start of operation||1854|
|End of operation||1913|
|Raw materials extracted|
|Degradation of||Lead, Zinc, Copper, Iron|
|Country||Land North Rhine-Westfalia|
|Precinct||Bensberg ore district|
The Anacker mine is a former non-ferrous metal ore mine in the Bensberg ore district in Rösrath. It was located south of the village of Lüderich at the entrance to the tunnel of the Cologne-Kalk-Overath railway line in Hoffnungsthal.
The first mutation dates from 20 December 1854 on a lead and blende deposit at Pfaffenheide near Großeigen. Several mutations were renewed on September 6, 1855, March 11, 1856, August 18, 1857, and June 11, 1858. After a field inspection on August 5, 1858 and the corresponding report on September 15, 1858, the title deed for lead, zinc, copper and iron ores was issued for the Anacker mine on October 1, 1858. This was followed by individual operating periods up to December 1, 1862, which were subsequently approved for an indefinite period. Later, the AG Bergbau, Blei- und Zinkfabrikation zu Stolberg became the new owner. Nothing is known about the subsequent operating activities.
The construction of the railway
During the construction work for the Aggertalbahn between Hoffnungsthal and Overath, a 1086 metre long tunnel had to be built between Klein-Eigen and Jexmühle. Work began on both sides on July 11, 1907, and many unforeseen difficulties arose, so that the completion of the line was delayed. Among other things, this was due to the fact that the tunnel had to contend with brittle rock and water that repeatedly broke through
During construction work in the tunnel, an ore deposit with rich blende deposits was encountered. Also found were fissures with spar ironstone, sulphur gravel, chalcopyrite, galena and calcite crystals. After the tunnel was completed, this encouraged further exploration work near this deposit. After setting up an explosives magazine in an adit and the necessary buildings above ground for future operations, work began on sinking a shaft. In 1910, 19 miners were employed to sink the shaft to a depth of 58 metres. At a depth of 54 metres, the first deep shaft was sunk at the level of the neighbouring railway tunnel between Hoffnungsthal and Honrath. An alignment cross-cut near the tunnel opened up a vein several metres thick which, in addition to porous quartz masses and grated sandstone, spathic ironstone and chalcopyrite, also contained galena and zinc blende in isolated places. In 1911, 116 tons of zinc ore and 1.9 tons of lead ore were mined. In the process, a camp with an orifice plate was opened up on a construction-worthy section of about 60 metres up to the vicinity of the tunnel. In 1912, 22 people worked there, but they did not produce any ore. They were busy further developing the mine workings, including driving a roadway 15 metres above the first deep level and across the tunnel. In 1913, with 24 men, they produced 138 tons of zinc ore, and in 1914, with nine men, 34 tons of zinc ore. The roadway was then backfilled with tailings 10 metres above the railway tunnel, the shafts backfilled and the surface installations demolished. The operation was thus discontinued.
- Herbert Stahl (editor): The Heritage of Ore, Volume 5, New News and Stories about the Bensberg Ore District, Bergisch Gladbach 2014, ISBN 978-3-00-044826-3, p. 36.
- About the Anacker and Gustav Bischof pits retrieved 21 April 2014
- BERGICA – The literature database of the Bergischer Geschichtsverein retrieved 21 April 2014