Albert Fitch Bellows
Albert Fitch Bellows (born November 20, 1829 in Milford, Massachusetts; † November 24, 1883 in Auburndale, Massachusetts, Middlesex County) was an American landscape painter and illustrator. He belonged to the Hudson River School and illustrated the book published in New York in 1869 A description of the New York Central park.
Life and work
Albert Bellows, the son of Albert Jones Bellows (1804-1869) and his wife Pamelia Fitch Bellows (1807-1845), studied architecture, then first cooperated in Boston with the architect John D. Towle († 1887), but soon turned to painting. From 1850 to 1856 he taught at the New England School of Design in Boston. He perfected his training as a painter in Paris and Antwerp. Back in New York in 1858, he went to Europe again in 1867 and worked in England for just under a year and a half. Via Belgium, Germany and Switzerland he returned to New York. At home in New York he maintained two studios and taught at Cooper Union. While he had made friends with watercolor painting in Europe, he later returned to oil painting and finally created etchings from 1878 to 1883.
His paintings hang in the National Gallery of Art Washington, the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, the Brooklyn Museum New York and the Museum of Fine Arts Houston.
Albert Bellows married Candace J. Brown on July 5, 1851. The couple had one son.
- From 1861 Member of the National Academy of Design
- Member of the American Watercolor Society
- Honorary member of the Société royale belge des aquarellistes
- at the New York Etching Club
- in the Philadelphia Society of Etchers
- in the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers
- Edmund von Mach: Bellows, Albert Fitch. In: Ulrich Thieme, Felix Becker (eds.): Allgemeines Lexikon der Bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart. Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker. Volume 3: Bassano-Bickham . Wilhelm Engelmann, Leipzig 1909, p. 272 (TextArchive – Internet Archive).
- Albert Fitch Bellows. Page 18-19 in The Lizzie Borden quarterly 1993
- A description of the New York Central park. New York, 1869
- Albert Fitch Bellows at askART
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
Wikisource: Albert Fitch Bellows in the Encyclopædia Britannica– Sources and full texts (English)
- Albert Fitch Bellows in the Internet Archive
- Albert Fitch Bellows International Standard Name Identifier Entry
- Albert Fitch Bellows at the Dutch Institute for Art History
- Albert Fitch Bellows on artnet
- Albert Fitch Bellows in WorldCat
- Albert Fitch Bellows in the ArtCyclopedia
- Albert Fitch Bellows in The Watercolour World
- Portrait Albert Fitch Bellows
|NAME||Bellows, Albert Fitch|
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Bellows, Albert F.; Bellows, A. F.|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||US landscape painter and illustrator|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20. November 1829|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Milford (Massachusetts)|
|STERBEDATUM||24. November 1883|
|DESTINATION||Auburndale (Massachusetts), Middlesex County (Massachusetts)|